Saturday, December 6, 2008

Fun Times

The other day I was cleaning the bathroom. We have an older house that we bought out of forclosure so it wasn't in the best condition. The upstairs bathroom is particularly bad. The previous owners were do-it-yourselfers who had NO IDEA what they were doing. If I ever meet them I am going to introduce them to a little thing called painters tape. They caulked the sink in such a way that it was all over the place (and chunky) and then painted the walls and decided to paint onto the caulk as well. When they painted the walls they didn't bother to clean any dust off so it's all grainy. And don't get me started on the wall paper border! As I was cleaning I realized that not matter how clean this bathroom is it is never going to look good. So, I started with the caulk. I managed to cut it all out (not an easy job) but not without tearing big chunks out of the wall. I think they may have run out of caulk and started using grout instead. So I had to spackle the wall too. After removing the caulk I realized the sink was installed a little crooked. Hence, the massive amounts of caulk. The sink is in pretty bad shape too so I got some stuff to refinish it. So, today I'm going to sand the caulk, refinish the sink, remove the wall paper and maybe try to sand the dust out of the paint before repainting it. I'll have to post before and after pictures soon. This bathroom also need a new shower and toilet but that will have to wait for now. I don't beleive the previous owner EVER cleaned ANY part of this house. The shower has begun to turn yellow and the grout between the floor tiles is a putrid shade of brown. Instead of replacing the floor I'm going to try using some super toxic industrial strength cleaner. That's another project for this afternoon. It's not that the bathroom isn't functional it's just very depressing to try and clean something that will always look dirty. The next house we buy will NOT be a forclosure. Maybe we'll get something new.....

1 comment:

Heather Huling said...

wow, sweet place to keep a journal. Can I post?