Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Backpacking Trip

Last weekend Keith and I left the kids and went on a 2.5 day backpacking trip in Shenandoah. I've never been backpacking before but I like hiking and I like camping so it seemed logical that I would also enjoy backpacking. So, here's what I learned....

-although fun, hiking with 30 pounds on your back is actually hard work
-seeing deer in their natural habitat is so much cooler than at the zoo
-hiking down a mountain is MUCH harder than hiking up
-I have the best hubby in the world

We went about 13 miles total and towards the end of our second day my legs and knees were so tired that I could hardly walk. Keith was amazing, he took as much of the weight off my pack as he could carry. Who said chivalry is dead? Now, if I could just get him to do the dishes....

Here are some pics from the trip:


Here's Keith at the summit of Robertson Mountain. Right before the "thigh-burning" descent.















Here's a picture of the deer that wandered into our camp. She just hung out and stared at us for a while. It was pretty cool.















This is the first day (hence the smile). I'm sitting on the stool that Keith fashioned out of three sticks, some rope and a peice of fabric. Yeah, he's MacGyvor.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

its so green and pretty back there! that sounds like so much fun!

Cindy said...

looks like you guys had a lot of fun, despite the pain! i think i prefer light hiking and then sleeping at a hotel :)