Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Recovery


Ever since I can remember I have been a nail biter. I know, it's a very gross habit. I've lost count of how many times I have tried to quit. Most of the time it lasts a few weeks, maybe a month, before I have a relapse. Well folks, 2 1/2 months and counting without biting a nail. You might ask, how can one quit a habit of 24 years? I didn't think it was possible myself.

The change happened when I ran the half-marathon. That was something I didn't think was possible either. After the race I wondered why I was able to make myself do something I didn't like (running) but I couldn't make myself stop doing something I didn't like (nail biting.) Shouldn't it be easier to not do something than to do something? Suddenly, I found the will power. Oddly enough, it takes very little will power anymore. I don't even have much desire to bite. Something about running that race changed me in a fundamental way. I have realized that I can do hard things.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

way to go!!! i need to kick that habit too. i didnt know you didnt really like running. that gives me hope! i think it would be really cool to run a race or something, but i dont really like running...good for you!

Crystal said...

That's awesome!! What a life changing experience for you I'm sure in more ways than just overcoming a bad habit.

Yvonne Stephenson said...

Congratulations! I know how difficult it is to stop nail biting. What a great feeling.

Kara said...

Yay for you! What a strong woman:)

I had no idea you bit your nails. I'm REALLY glad you kicked that habit. Really.

Kate Challis said...

I really like your logic, Heather. It makes sense to me. Maybe I should apply it to some of my bad habits!

It's neat to read about how the race changed you. I know that it seems like it wouldn't be such a big "event" or whatever, but it really is, and it's so awesome that you did it. Way to go, you rock!