Thursday, November 11, 2010

Pain, part 2

After recovering from my surgery in July I found that the pain I was experiencing was much better, but not entirely gone. Last week, I started feeling like I might have another cyst. By Tuesday, I could hardly walk without extreme pain. My doc is out of town so I made an appointment with his collegue. She was equally great and equally perplexed by my situation. I do, indeed, have another cyst on my right ovary. This one, 5 centimeters in diameter. The last one was 6. "Large" pain-causing cysts in most women are 2-3 cms. So, I guess that would make mine XXL. The fact that I got 2 of them in 8 months is equally alarming.

So, I found myself driving home with tears streaming down my face asking, "why me?" The tiny thread I was already hanging on broke and it was all I could do to go through the motions the rest of the day. Pretty pathetic.

That night, I was holding my little boy in my arms and he said to me, "I just love you SO much, mommy." It was really what I needed to hear. I started thinking and realized that I have so many good things in my life that a few more months of pain is nothing. My condition is not life threatening, my kids are healthy, my husband has a job, and the list goes on. I WILL survive this.

What are the next steps? Well, I either need to get pregnant or go on birth control to stop the cysts from coming back. Getting pregnant on my own has not been working for me for the last year so fertility drugs are probably in the plan. So, what's next? Triplets? Bring it on.

8 comments:

Kate Challis said...

Oh man, I'm so sorry you're in such pain. We will be sure to keep you in our prayers. I hope things work out for you, and soon, so you don't have to suffer too much longer.

You have an awesome attitude about your trials. Really, you're a great example to me. I am SO impressed, and I really look up to you. Keep it up!

Cindy said...

I'm sorry about the cyst and more pain ahead. Are you going to have surgery to remove it? Good luck with everything (possible triplets?!) and please let me know how I can help!

The Ericksons said...

Oh Heather! I wish I lived close! I hope things get better and all will work out! Keep your head held high, and when you can't, fall to your knees!

Kara said...

Ugh. I am SO sorry to hear this. I thought we were out of the woods with pain after the surgery. I'm going to pray for the pregnancy bit over the birth control. I'm glad you have the strength to recognize your blessings through all of this; I know they will only multiply if you keep it up.
xoxo

Kate-Evans said...

Heather-
Thinking about you and praying for you! You are a strong soul!! And your kids are ador-able!

Angela said...

Ah, Heather, you poor thing! I hope you feel better soon.

Unknown said...

I am so sorry to hear that you are in so much pain again...
Cross my fingers and keep you in my prayers that a baby will come soon to relieve you from the pain...

Crystal said...

YAY for triplets :-)